MID TIER COUNTRYSIDE STEWARDSHIP SCHEME
The Mid Tier Scheme has been “streamlined” to cover the 4 main themes:
- Mixed Farming
The scheme is now also non-competitive, meaning that all farmers who meet the eligibility requirements can get an agreement to deliver as few as 3 options, or as many as 14. Agreements will start 1st January 2019 and will last for 5 years.
- Applications are now open (“Arable” theme applications available online from 20th February)
- Applications packs need to be requested by 31st May 2018
- Deadline for applications is 31st July 2018
For the arable, lowland and mixed farming options above the farmer will have to pick out at least 1 option from each of the 3 categories of options detailed below . There is also a possibility to access capital grants under the scheme.
Mid Tier agreements can still be applied for with different options to the new streamlined offers however they will be subject to “scoring” for their environmental benefit and are therefore not guaranteed.
HIGHER TIER COUNTRYSIDE STEWARDSHIP SCHEME
Higher Tier agreements are for environmentally significant sites, commons and woodlands where more complex management requires support from Natural England. Applications for Higher Tier are usually Natural England led and are competitive. Farms will be located within target areas.
- Application packs to be requested by 9th March
- Deadline to submit initial application is 13th April
- Negotiation of scheme detail concluded by mid September
- Agreements start 1st January 2019.
In the spring Carver Knowles are holding two evening talks on farms to discuss how the new scheme can benefit your business, please contact Alyssia Thomas or Aislyn Firth on 01684 853400 to register your interest or for more information.